The following learning resources have been compiled to assist students enrolled in AU Spanish courses or for general reference:
Spanish Dictionaries Resources
- SpanishDict: A dictionary with over 54,400 entries and 10,300 audio pronunciations.
- English-Spanish and Spanish-English Dictionary: An extensive list of phrases that includes: commonly used text patterns (speech process, thinking process, feelings), private and business correspondence, invitations and contracts.
- English-Spanish Dictionary of Common Computing Terms: Offers translations to keywords in computer terminology.
- Glosario básico inglés-español para usuarios de Internet
- Glosario de Internet: Internet terminology in Spanish.
- ¡ Oh !, ¿ qué pasó ?: An extensive list of vocabulary, expressions, and pronunciation rules.
- LOGOS non solo parole: A free database maintained by a network of professional translators.
- English-Spanish On-line Dictionary: Contains 5,400 terms to search from in a user-friendly fashion.
- Flash Cards: Make Spanish/English flash cards such as: animals, shapes, colors, parts of the body, clothing and much more.
- Businessspanish.com: Grammar/ Gramática: Listed alphabetically and offers everything from accentuation to weather phrases.
- Gramática y Ortografía: Entirely in Spanish, and is very extensive in its lessons in grammar. Offers Spanish culture and literature information.
- Learn Spanish: Includes adjectives to describe personality, words for discussing weather, a food glossary, recipes, lists of clothes, useful expressions, frequently used verbs, human body vocabulary, how to use Spanish accents, and much more.
- StudySpanish.com: Learn Spanish: Lessons begin with gender of nouns, numbers, etc. Also offers links to verb drills, vocabulary, cultural notes and a travel helper.
- Quia!: Activities centred on learning words for the weather, animals, food, body parts, clothing and much more.
- Language Adventure: Increase your Spanish vocabulary with the help of online flashcards. Study specific areas such as food, transportation, animals, sports, weather, holidays, and occupations.
- Multilingual Translation Technology Centre: Offered through the University of Toronto, this comprehensive list helps locate online translation services.
Spanish Language Resources
- StudySpanish.com: Typing Spanish Accents: Create the accents needed to write authentic Spanish phrases. Gives Provides step-by-step process for Windows and Mac users.
- Basic Spanish Words with Pronunciation: Offers the basic words for learning Spanish and links to English-Spanish Dictionaries.
- businessspanish.com: Learn how to speak and write business and conversational Spanish by listening and repeating examples and simplified grammar rules.
- Conjugation Site: Offers lists of the following stem-changing verbs: (o > ue), (e > ie) and (e > i). Also, there is a list of over 35 irregular verbs changing from -cer or -cir to -zco in the yo form.
- SPALEON: Spanish Verb Conjugation Trainer: Practice different Spanish verb forms and verb groups including “Present Tense: Basic Verbs”, “Present Tense: Irregular Verbs”, “Present Subjunctive”, and “Imperfect”.
Spanish Culture Resources
- ABC.es: Noticias de España y del mundo: A Spanish newsletter, entirely in Spanish and offering society, culture, humour, international and national news, and economics sections.
- Los tebeos de siempre: Enjoy these cartoons in Spanish.
- Centro Virtual Cervantes (CVC): Entirely in Spanish, an extensive offering of culture and language resources.
- Bienvenido a Chile: Offers a map of Chile with interest points and links to further information about these areas. Also, there are links to “News”, “Weather”, “Tourism”, “Government”, “Law”, and “Science”.
- Cubaweb: Entirely in Spanish with an option to switch to English. Offers info on: News & Media, Tourism & Travel, Government & Politics, Business & Trade, Internet & Technology, Health & Science, Culture & Arts, and Fairs & Events.
- Diego Rivera Web Museum: “Diego Rivera (1886-l957), muralist painter, was one of the greatest artists in the XXth century”.
- Foreign Languages for Travelers: Choose the language that you speak and then the language that you want to learn. Then learn basic words, weather, shopping, directions, places, times and dates.
- HispanicOnline.com: Reflects areas of career, politics, books, history, and profile.
- Latin American Studies: Links to newspapers published in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, United Sates, Venezuela and online publications from and about Latin America.
- Learn-Spanish-Language.com: Learn Spanish while using our valuable links to Spanish translators, Spanish-English dictionaries, online lessons, Latin music and Chicano/Latino culture sites. Offers links to free translators on the web, language learning, and verb drills, charts and tests.
- Real Academia Española: Royal Academy of Spain site—considered the definitive/official site for definitions and grammar questions.
- Sí, Spain: This interactive service promotes free exchange of information on Spanish current affairs and its historical, linguistic and cultural development.
- Travlang’s Language and Travel Resources: From travel vocabulary to specifics about currency to information about world-wide hotels.
- LatinWorld: Resources on Latin America and the Caribbean.
Spanish Search Engines
Updated September 19 2014 by Student & Academic Services